[Histonet] Re: IHC pretreatment with NaOH/H2O2

Montina Van Meter Montina.VanMeter <@t> pbrc.edu
Fri Feb 18 13:50:26 CST 2011

Neil,

When I read the paper in question, it reminded me of the pretreatments
one would use in an In Situ Hybridization protocol. I have used this
protocol in the past and it doesn't seem to harm the tissue as long as
the tissue has been adequately perfused.  We use the pSTAT3 #9131 (Cell
Signaling) with 40um free-floating rat brainstem sections that have been
perfused with 4% paraformaldehyde .

 After successfully reproducing their protocol, I decided to try and
incorporate my own protocol for this particular antibody. The only
pretreatment that I use is a cocktail of Methanol (cold) + 1% H2O2 for
20 minutes., TBST Rinses, Blocking step - Rodent Block R, Primary -
pSTAT3 (1:50 - 1:100) - overnight, TBST Rinses, Alexa Fluor secondary -
2hrs., TBST Rinses, mount & coverslip with ProLong Gold (Invitrogen).

**The #9131 spec sheet notes that you must use Methanol as a
pretreatment step for this anitbody.

*** I am often required to use this antibody in double labeling
experiments with tract tracing beads that are sensitive to heat. HIER is
out of the question, but the methanol/H2O2 pretreatment appears to be
adequate for this antibody and doesn't affect the beads.

Regards,

Tina

Montina J. Van Meter
Lab Manager