[Histonet] Eosinophilic new bone formation

Keller, Pat KellerP <@t> ent.wustl.edu
Fri Feb 18 06:45:58 CST 2011

We have always noticed, at least in the middle/inner ear, that newly
deposited bone stains darker than mature bone, both with H&E and
toluidine blue.  Is this increased eosinophilic quality due to a lack of
mineralization and therefore higher density of osteoid components in the
new bone or some other difference in composition of the osteoid?  The
contrast is quite striking when we observe bone remodeling due to middle
ear infections, so I wanted to be able to offer an accurate explanation
of why that is...

Patricia Keller
Sr. Research Tech/Core Histologist
Department of Otolaryngology