[Histonet] Section position on slides

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:23:02 CST 2011

Automated coverslipping instruments are defined by the manufacturer, but
modifications on some systems can be done.  Most clinical labs who utilize
automation use 24X50mm - as this coverslip will cover most of the slide.

Tissue placement is pretty much determined by laboratory needs.  Sheehan &
Hrapchak had a short segment about tissue placement, but it was in regards
to the tissue orientation for microscopic assessment requirements.  There is
nothing in granite about tissue placement that I know of.

Some tools that I worked with were using the Cytospin large rectangular
slides to show residents/students/collegues where the tissue placement
needed to be.  Once they were able to get the tissue section in there we
moved on.  While to most of us who work in Histo sort of take putting
sections on a slide for granted (yes we did work hard to get there)  getting
the mechanics of it takes patience, skill and practice.  Keep it simple and
build up from there.

Vikki