[Histonet] cell block fixation

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Mon Feb 14 09:41:06 CST 2011

You could also try to make them with plasma and thrombin...Unless you
are trying to do IHC with them, it will work fine.  The IHC might become
a problem because of the plasma "donor's" antigens might get in your
way?  After you make the "booger" just fix and it should be fine.
Another way I have tried is to used an agar solution to make the pellet.
Good Luck!

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Feher,
Stephen
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 9:31 AM
To: Hutton, Allison; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] cell block fixation

Try a 50/50 mix of formalin and 95% alcohol.  Have your prep techs add
about 5 mL of this mixture and a drop of albumin (we use the bovine
albumin from the blood bank but any albumin will do) to the cell block
contents.  Mix well and centrifuge.  The button should be well formed.
Take care not to add too much albumin or the tissue will be brittle and
difficult to cut.

Steve