[Histonet] High Complexity Testing

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Tue Feb 8 09:06:33 CST 2011

I don't actually have an answer, but rather an observation.

How many med techs are still doing glusoses in test-tubes, or manual
drug screenings or hcg's? It would seem, by deduction that an automated
glucose, if only because who it performing it, is a complex test. If
measuring a bowel biopsy is now "complex", why should the critical
judgements and skills needed to cut a section, place it correctly on a
slide and load the machine be considered not complex.

If it comes down to "who" is doing it, then all of our efforts to
elevate the field, gain higher and more competative wages and education
requirements have done little except in isolated regions or
laboratories.

Morning rant.... Need to start getting more sleep.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sheila
Fonner
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:45 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] High Complexity Testing

Hello All,

I would really appreciate it if anyone has information on whether
IHC/ISH are considered high complexity testing for histotechs.  Our
pathologist believes that ALL histology low complexity testing since a
"machine" is doing the work.  Can anyone help me out with some
guidelines, literature, etc. that says otherwise?  I would really
appreciate it.  We just want to know which one it is.

Thanks so much Histoland!