[Histonet] TTF-1 Staining

Robert L. Lott rllott <@t> bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 5 14:55:00 CST 2011

Subject: TTF-1 Staining

For those of you who participate in the CAP/NSH HistoQIP program... and did so in back in 2009, one of the IHC challenges that year was TTF-1.

>From the critique published with that particular challenge, enrolled participants may have read with interest the following 2 excerpts: (I have included the references)

        The majority of the published studies on the immunoreactivity of TTF-1 have been conducted using two commercially available clones, 8G7G3/1 and SPT24.

        It has been shown that SPT24 is more sensitive than 8G7G3/1 for the detection of pulmonary adenocarcinomas.

        In a comparative study of 86 primary pulmonary adenocarcinomas by Comperat et al., nuclear staining was detected in 72 cases (84%) with SPT24 and 56 cases (65%) with 8G7G3/1.6

        The clone 8G7G3/1 cross reacts with cytoplasmic mitochondrial proteins in liver cells while the clone SPT24 does not.

        Pathologists have taken advantage of this phenomenon and used it to study carcinomas of the liver.

        In a recent study, cytoplasmic reactivity for TTF-1 was observed in 71% of hepatocellular carcinomas with the 8G7G3/1 antibody and was more sensitive than Hep-Par 1.

        The cytoplasmic reactivity is seen even when using biotin-free protocols and seems fairly specific for hepatocellular carcinoma.11

        6.  Comperat E, Zhang F, Perrotin C, Molina T, Magdeleinat P, Marmey B, Regnard JF, Audouin J, Camilleri-Broet S. Variable sensitivity and specificity of TTF1 antibodies

             in lung metastatic adenocarcinoma of colorectal origin. Mod Pathol. 2005; 18(10):1371-1376.

        11. Pang Y, von Turkovich M, Wu H, Mitchell J, Mount S, Taatjes D, Cooper K. The binding of thyroid transcription factor-1 and hepatocyte paraffin 1 to mitochondrial

              proteins in hepatocytes: a molecular and immunoelectron microscopic study. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006;125(5):722-726.

Robert L. Lott, HTL(ASCP)