[Histonet] Safranin O

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 23:35:19 CST 2011

Have you tried Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain? Try using it first (7 minutes at 60C), then rinse in dH2O (a few dip an dunks at 60C and blot dry), then counterstain with safranin O for 2-5 minutes (room temp - check intensity) and rinse in 100% EtOH (room temp - few dip and dunks and blot dry). If saf o is too intense, you should be able to differentiate a little with 95% EtOH first then do the 100% EtOH step.

On a curious note, is there any particular reason why you are cutting thick sections and grinding? You should very easily be able to cut thin sections with a rotary microtome using a tungsten-carbide knife at 5 microns and then you would have greater staining flexibility. Call me if you want to discuss (317-281-1975).

Jack