[Histonet] re Her2 neu requirements

Connelly, John jconnelly <@t> sleh.com
Wed Feb 2 13:00:16 CST 2011

We have the specimens sent fresh to our lab and we put them in formalin there.  We document the time and the we make sure all are processed in the time window. The diffculty is usually on Friday biopsy and excision specimens, especially if you have a courier run.

John Connelly, M.D.

"Hello histoland

I was just given the task to find a solution that is easy and will also comply with the CAP guideline for formalin fixation documentation, and so I started my research on the Histonet archives.  I found some good information, but was hoping to get more feedback.

Would you mind sharing with me the actions you are taking to comply with the guideline?

We are a private lab and we provide histology/pathology service for 2 hospitals and a few surgery centers.  We send our blocks to Genzyme for Her2, and we must document on their test order sheet how many hours the tissues have been fixed in formalin.
I'm assuming I will need to start keeping a log here, with documentation that shows what time the tissue was excised and placed in formalin from the OR, and then documentation that shows the time it was dissected and then placed in the tissue processor.  "

+++++CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE+++++
The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
privileged.   If you are not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any review,  dissemination or
copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or the
information contained herein is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify
the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from
your computer system. Thank you.