[Histonet] Infectious waste

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:34:35 CST 2011

Hi

You may receive many opinions on this --- just a heads up.  Many clinical
labs do not consider shavings or debris from cutting to be red bag
(hazardous) waste as they are no longer a 'biological hazard' due to the
processing process which incorporates heat, alcohol and a fixative that is
expected to effectively kill any infectious agents. There are some
exceptions, which you can find in the CDC or OSHA guidelines such as dealing
with tissue of brain (Jakob-creutzfeldt) lung (TB or other air-borne
pathogens).  CAP also has requirements/guidelines for handling
these cases which you will need to have documentation for the processing
procedure.  I would suggest that you refer to these guidelines and also to
your institutions regulations on what is regarded as hazardous waste.  Above
and beyond anything else make sure you document and site in your procedures
manual your sources.

Hope this will help you.

Vikki

PS - any spelling errors I apologize for in advance ;-)
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Martin, Gary <gmartin <@t> marshallmedical.org>wrote