[Histonet] RE: NCCI policy update plus copper stain CPT change

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 13:52:16 CST 2011

Like I said before, the organizations I have been with did not choose to do that because of the medically necessity laws that governed that. The Pathologist would have to document the necessity of billing for lets say a keratin done on blocks A1, A2 and A3 on a sentinal node. we always billed for just one keratin.These are large institutions/path groups I am refering to.Were they cheating themselves or being medically prudent? Not sure. Also, within the past two years Ive had the pleasure of being subjected to sitting within a group called code correct who helps hospitals stay in compliance. apparently that group did not like the pratice of billing for A1, A2 keratins as well. Bill for A, B, C etc yes.

Perhaps the Pathologist sitting in this forum can explain it better as to why some Paths who are medical directors choose to not bill for multiple blocks on the same specimen unless they had a out right hard core reason to need it, rare in deed from what Ive seen. Ive had more than one argument on why cant we bill for the clot and make it part type B instead of making it block A2. Ive seen this practice of what im saying over the past 5 years at 2 large hospitals and 2 large private path groups that were the medical directors of the hospital labs. So I can only speak from what Ive seen.

To say the least is I guess these places are better prepared for this change if in fact they self punished themselves from this practice of billing multiple blocks of same samples.

but this new billing for using cocktails on one sample and being able to bill one is a whole nother ball game.

I imagine its going to hit urology groups hard since vendors have been selling the P504s, racemase, 34Be12 cocktails real hard last few years.

With all this said, I am sitting here laughing at myself. We all can only say what we have personally experianced. and whats funny to me is we think about work too much lol.....

We should be having a nice cold one. We'll survive somehow with what ever they toss at us. :)

Happy New Year Histonetters.... Luv Ya!

Kim D

________________________________
From: "Weems, Joyce" <JWeems <@t> sjha.org>
To: Kim Donadio <one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com>; Lester Raff MD <LRaff <@t> uropartners.com>; Jesus Ellin <JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org>; "histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com" <histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com>
Cc: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; "Webb, Dorothy L" <Dorothy.L.Webb <@t> HealthPartners.Com>
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: NCCI policy update plus copper stain CPT change

For the past two years we have been able to bill immunos and special stains per block. This will be a loss for for the big cases that need multiple blocks stained since the cost is per slide, not specimen. I don't see anything about the special stains tho - doesn't make sense.

Global billing is technical and professional charges combined and would have include the separate blocks.

NOTE: The CPT code has changed for the copper stain - 88318. It is now in the non-microbial group - 88313.

Happy New Year Everyone!! j