[Histonet] RE: DAB haematoxylin counterstain; too purple,

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 08:53:07 CST 2011

To counterstain the IHC sections I always used the regular hematoxylin for 30 seconds only. Always obtained a crisp and weak nuclear staining.
René J.

--- On Thu, 12/15/11, C.M. van der Loos <c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl> wrote:

From: C.M. van der Loos <c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl>
Subject: [Histonet] RE: DAB haematoxylin counterstain; too purple,
To: "'megan.french <@t> mcri.edu.au'" <megan.french <@t> mcri.edu.au>
Cc: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 2:55 AM

Hi Megan,
Try to lift the coveslip (soak in xylene for a couple of hours), remove excess of mountant in xylene and then go into alcohol. Dip your slides in alcohol plus hydrochloric acid (95 ml alcohol absolute + 5 ml conc. HCl) for 5 min and then into water. Most of the hematoxylin will be gone.

We use a commercial hematox (Harris) 1:10 diluted in distilled water for 3 min. This ensures and weak to moderate counterstain that is just strong enough to see the tissue elements and not disturbing the IHC signal.

Cheers, Chris

Chris van der Loos
Academic Medical Center
Dept. of Pathology