[Histonet] Stain recipe

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Tue Dec 13 09:41:11 CST 2011

The method is found in Culling, Ed. 2., p.251.

Solutions
	1) Alcian blue
	   Alcian blue 8G 1% aqueous  50 mL
	   Acetic acid 1% aqueous     50 mL
	   Filter, and add 10-20 mg thymol.

	2) Phosphomolybdic acid, 1% aqueous
	3) Chlorantine fast red 5B, 0.5% aqueous

Method
1)  Sections to water.
2)  Ehrlich's hematoxylin 10-15 mins.
3)  Tap water until blue.
4)  Alcian blue solution (1), 10 minutes.
5)  Distilled water rinse, a few seconds.
6)  Phosphomolybdic acid (2), 10 minutes.
7)  Distilled water rinse.
8)  Chlorantine fast red (3), 10-15 minutes.
9)  Distilled water rinse.
10) Dehydrate, clear and mount in a resinous medium.

Expected results:
Mucin, mast cell granules, cartilage - blue
Nuclei - Purple-blue
Collagen and ossein - Cherry-red
Cytoplasm and muscle - pale yellow

Bryan Llewellyn