[Histonet] RE: Tissue Loss

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Wed Dec 7 13:53:30 CST 2011

Is there water left under the sections before they go into the oven? Are they left in the oven they same length as the other techs slides?

I remember having a seasoned tech that was put off by questioning also. I tried a different approach by meeting with her privately and discussing the matter. By explaining that our first priority is the safety of the patient (that being the patient specimen) and getting her to realize that this was not a disciplinary matter, but was really a matter for  PI (Process Improvement). I let the tech become involved in resolving the problem and take ownership of it. This process took a few weeks, and there were some frustrating times, but eventually the problem was resolved. I later did a PI report to show the measures taken to correct the problem, and presented at our department Quality meetings. In the end, the tech felt rewarded by having her work come up to the standards of the others, and seeing the chart that showed improvements helped too.

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Susan.Walzer <@t> HCAHealthcare.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:07 AM
To: Judith_Pardue <@t> memorial.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Tissue Loss

When tissue falls off the slide it is usually poorly cut sections or a problem with under processing or bad tissue ( bones) GI biopsies should not be falling off if cut well and processed correctly. Keep an eye on how she is cutting, she may have a problem with her microtome ( are all screws tight and is the angle right?) Is she cutting too thick? Is she ribboning? If a tech cannot get a ribbon on a biopsy she is doing something wrong.