[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 97, Issue 9

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed Dec 7 12:42:40 CST 2011

Deanne,

When using automation, you should always keep a short supply of your most requested reagents for manual staining on hand.
You just never know when the instrument will break down.
Automation is great in the long run, in the beginning though you may spend a bit more than expected, just because you are trying out the correct times on the automated stainer, and the doctors are getting used to the stain. You should also perform parallel testing for quality assurance.
As for the Ventana, the PAS is good, so is the AFB, and GMS. The only issue I remember is that you have to run the GMS and AFB at separate times or on different modules. Not good if you do not have the space. Also, if you experience a power outage or the unit goes down, you cannot just pick up an finish by hand. The unit does not tell you where the slides are in the process when the machine stops.
As for controls, it depends on the facility, but one per case/stain is the usual rule. The only time that is not happening is for batch run H.Pylori. Controls can be scarce for this stain, and running them in a batch with one control has worked. I personally do not like that because of legalities and personal preference. Remember the phrase "all controls are appropriate", what if it gets hung up in another doctor's office.
Just my two cents.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor
Program in Histotechnology