[Histonet] Histo Aide Duties

Mandy O'Connor Amanda <@t> YPII.com
Wed Dec 7 11:26:14 CST 2011

Hi guys and gals, I have to comment on this subject.  This is where I wish there was a clear cut answer in deciphering what duties an aide vs. HT vs. HTL should and shouldn't do.  I work in a private pathology lab where we have a little of everything-an HTL with BS in science, an HT with a 2 yr, an HT with no education, and an aide with only a couple college credits.  Everyone is expected to know everything-embedding, cutting, staining, IHC, and also grossing.   I highly do not agree with the expectations.

Is there some documentation that actually says what the limits are for unqualified people?  Also we need to question if they "should" be doing these duties.

Mandy O'Connor, HTL(ASCP)
Yellowstone Pathology Institute
Billings, MT
amanda <@t> ypii.com<mailto:amanda <@t> ypii.com>