[Histonet] Non-Certified Histo Aide

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 09:25:37 CST 2011

You're probaly going to get a variety response to this depending on the state the person is in. Remember that CAP is an acreditation organization made up of peers that help each other stay within the guidlines of other state or federal regulatory agencies, such as CLIA and AHCA. < My version of the definition.

This question was ask in the march addition of CAP. Link here: http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/education/lapaudio/pdf/031710_qa.pdf

CAP accreditation = CMS $ from my understanding as well. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/clia/docs/fr12se01n.htm  Good article about this relationship

For states such as the one I am in. Florida, only florida licensed histotechs can cut, embed, special stains, etc. to my knowledge in a hospital setting.I beleive there is an ecception for private dermatology labs performing MOHS. My understanding is that IHC and grossing are still high complex and is held to more stringent regulations. Someone correct me if i am wrong please.

So I would see if your staff meet CLIA guidelines for moderatly complex testing and then look at your states requirements.

Heres the guidelines on standard technical help. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/clia/docs/fr12se01n.htm

The CLIA web site is so much fun to navigate, so I hope this answers some of your questions or at least gives you some reference points.

Kim Donadio

________________________________
From: Matthew Lunetta <MLunetta <@t> luhcares.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:52 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Non-Certified Histo Aide

Hey Histo Netters,
For the CAP pro's; I have been wondering what duties can a non-certified histo-aide preform in a CAP facility?
Other than accessioning.
Embedding? Cutting? Staining? Where is the CAP line on what is technical and what is non-tecnical?
I am not fluent in CAP and would like to know what you all think.
Thanks,
Matt Lunetta
BS HT(ASCP)