[Histonet] Tissue Loss

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 08:50:31 CST 2011

First of all disregard any "offense" any tech may take when  you have something to say about the work result. The patient's care overrules "any offense".
Tissues can come off, specially in GI biopsies if they dry out too much during processing with a general protocol where dehydration results too much for them.
Also cutting too fast and not letting the sections to drain correctly before drying in the oven to be stained, can cause them to fall off.
Check how your "senior tech" cuts, and if it is too fast, tell her to slow down a bit.
Compare how she works and how the other techs work and if you see any technical difference, that is probably the cause and "offended" or not tell her to follow standard procedure.
A tech should care for the quality of the work and in the histology laboratory there is no place for "histo-divas".
René J.

--- On Mon, 12/5/11, Pardue, Judith <Judith_Pardue <@t> memorial.org> wrote:

From: Pardue, Judith <Judith_Pardue <@t> memorial.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Loss
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, December 5, 2011, 9:24 AM

I would like some input on a situation I am faced with in our lab. We
are constantly having tissue coming off the slide on GI bx's. This is
coming from one tech, she is a senior tech and takes offense to
questioning her about the problem. From what I can tell all of the techs
are following the same protocal.

Judith Gale Pardue HT(ASCP), QIHC
Histology Supervisor
423-495-5756
judith_pardue <@t> memorial.org
Memorial Healthcare System

To the world I'm one, to one I'm the world

This electronic mail and any attached documents is intended solely for the named addressee(s) and contains confidential information.  If you are not an addressee, or responsible for delivering this email to an addressee, you have received this email in error and are notified that reading, copying, or disclosing this email is prohibited. If you received this email in error, immediately reply to the sender and delete the message completely from your computer system.