[Histonet] b-cells stain

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 06:01:10 CST 2011

Thanks John,
     Since I was writing the message about Gomori's chrome alum hematoxylin
without the procedure in front of me yesterday (not the best idea, I know)
I didn't have the whole formulation available to me. For Gomori's chrome
alum hematoxylin, in addition to potassium dichromate, there is also
chromium potassium sulfate and sulfuric acid as well. By no means is there
any ferric chloride in it and as I mentioned if one tried to make this with
ferric chloride, I doubt it would work for beta cells since according to
Bancroft in *Theory & Practice of Histotechnology* chrome alum has a strong
affinity for sulfonic acid radicals which are produced in the oxidation of
the glycoproteins in the beta cells in earlier steps of the stain.
     So long story short: ferric chloride probably would not work for
Gomori's stain. Sorry if it sounded like I suggested it would. I really
appreciate having folks like John Kiernan around to point out possible
mis-communications like that.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Amos