[Histonet] b-cells stain

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:59:36 CST 2011

Hi,
   I like to prepare solutions myself as well. As you say though
paraldehyde is classified as a drug so there are hoops to jump through to
be able to purchase it. This is one of those times that it totally makes
sense to let someone else make it up. EMS sells aldehyde fuchsin so it
saves me the hassle of dealing with the DEA. Better yet the price isn't
terrible and works great. Here's the info for it:
RT 26096 Aldehyde Fuchsin Solution 250 ml 24.00
http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/histology/staining_solutions.aspx#26091
    Now as for Gomori's chrome alum hematoxylin, you really are better off
using the chrome (potassium dichromate if I recall correctly) than ferric
chloride (Weigerts formulation right?). I don't think the iron hematoxylin
would be as specific to the beta cells, but hey, if you decide to try it,
please let me know if it works out for you. Ferric chloride is better to
work with than potassium dichromate! Heck you could write up a new
procedure and name it after yourself.

Amos