[Histonet] Re:peggy wenk comments on HT/HTL practical -

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer <@t> mdanderson.org
Wed Aug 31 13:37:05 CDT 2011

Candace,
 I was much in the same boat as the other person you mentioned.  I trained at small veterinary lab and sat for the exam. When I relocated and got work in a full service human hospital, it was culture shock.  It took me a year or so to get to where I need to be.  That is why I got into education, it not only ensures that newbies get what they need, but it makes sure that I really know my stuff.  Hats off to my trainers (Cheryl, Del, Hal and Mae), the really to the time to ensure that I could do my job! The phrase that I hate the most is "where I trained...", I used it and now I know how annoying it can be.
Thank goodness there are people who are willing and able to take the time to train newbies.  Without them I wouldn't be where I am today.
There are good things to be said for those of us who have OJT, and for those who completed a formal program.  OJT people usually are more disciplined because they have to do it on there own. Those who have completed a program have the advantage of receiving theory for what they do.  OJT people usually troubleshoot very well, and those in a program have the advantage of varied experience, before being hired.
I did the practical and they took off for lint from the gauze on my slides, (go figure). Redid it and passed, without my chemistry background it would have been hard to pass the written though.  Studying on my own took a lot of discipline.

Toysha N. Mayer, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions