[Histonet] RE: Re:peggy wenk comments on HT/HTL practical

Tim Higgins thiggins <@t> cddmedical.com
Wed Aug 31 10:12:58 CDT 2011

I have to agree with the fact that students should not be released into the
workforce without any practical experience.  We team up with a local college
(St. Phillips College, San Antonio TX) that produces several students a year
and we along with other facilities help in the rotations for students to
deal with the practical experience they desperately need.

In my opinion, any program that produces students without the basic skill
set (embedding and microtomy) along with basics of fixation, special stains,
etc. should not be allowed to be a "Approved" program.  Again, this is just
my opinion.

I want to know who approves a program that would send a student into the
workforce without the basic skill set, that blows me away!!!  Producing
students that are not functional is taking the Histology field a step
backwards in getting the respect and pay over the years that we have worked
so hard to receive in the healthcare world.

Wow!!

Thanks,

Tim