[Histonet] brazilin

Paula Pierce contact <@t> excaliburpathology.com
Tue Aug 30 11:56:09 CDT 2011

Hi,

when I do Lac Z, I counterstain with nuclear fast red, rinse in water, then use one of the aqueous mounting medias that have replaced Crystal Mount.
http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/technical/datasheet/17985-12.aspx

Place enough to cover the section, drain off the excess, completely air dry, and then you can permanently coverslip with resin. This is also the procedure I use for AEC and even Oil Red O.
Crystal Mount forms a thin "plastic" protective film over the section.

Paula K. Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
President
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
8901 S. Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3953 Lab
405-759-7513 Fax
www.excaliburpathology.com

From: Geoff McAuliffe <mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] brazilin

Hi Vanessa:

I tried "Brizilliant" several years ago. I purchased the dry powder
since I have been mixing my own stains since the 1970's. I even called
the vendor as I was unsure about the identity of some of the
ingredients. The results on formalin fixed, paraffin embedded rodent
tissues were disappointing, a dull orange not bright red. You might have
better results with the pre-mixed stain. Perhaps they wills send you a
small sample to try on your material.

Geoff

--
--