[Histonet] Returning to Histology-Another Idea Won't Work

Paula araniqkslvr <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 14:31:59 CDT 2011

I thought it might be good to study and try for the HTL (already have school for HT and am certified) but it looks like the time limits prohibit me from trying this, since I did it so long ago. Anyone else have any ideas? I'd gladly buy the books and study. Cannot get into a lab here in NC without current experience. The closest school is in western NC, about 5 hours away. I didn't see anything near me in Raleigh. I was going to purchase the textbooks but now I see this won't work either:

Histotechnologist, HTL(ASCP)

Application Fee: $210

To be eligible for this examination category, an applicant must
satisfy the requirements of at least one of the following routes:

Route 1: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally
accredited college/university with a combination of 30 semester hours
(45 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry AND successful completion of
 a NAACLS accredited Histotechnician or Histotechnology program within
the last 5 years; OR

Route 2: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally
accredited college/university with a combination of 30 semester hours
(45 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry AND one year full time
acceptable experience in a histopathology (clinical, veterinary,
industry or research) laboratory in the U.S., Canada or an accredited
laboratory* within the last ten years.

*laboratory accredited by a CMS approved accreditation organization (i.e., AABB, CAP, COLA, DNV, The Joint Commission, etc.)

Clinical Laboratory Experience

To fulfill the experience requirement for the Histotechnologist
examination, you must have experience, within the last ten years, in the
 following areas:

Fixation
    Microtomy
    Processing
    Staining Any ideas? I have posted this before, but I keep on trying!

Paula