[Histonet] RE: Embedding process improvement and competencyassessment

Bea DeBrosse-Serra BDeBrosse-Serra <@t> isisph.com
Thu Aug 25 12:14:24 CDT 2011

I heard of a lot of cheating as well. People paid others to do the blocks and staining. How good does it do? In the end, these people are cheating themselves. Very sad!

Beatrice DeBrosse-Serra HT(ASCP)QIHC
Isis Pharmaceuticals
Antisense Drug Discovery
1896 Rutherford Road
Carlsbad, CA 92008
760-603-2371

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer MacDonald
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:58 AM
To: Heath, Nancy L.
Cc: Histonet Listserv (E-mail); histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; D'Attilio, Shelley
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Embedding process improvement and competencyassessment

I fail to see the correlation of a non HT person supervising the Histology
lab and the lack of a practical exam for HT/HTL staff.  One of the issues
that Shelley brought up was the staff lost or did not develop their
embedding skills.  Submission of a practical exam is not proof of highly
developed embedding skills.  For the HT exam there were 8 blocks that were
submitted (9 slides).  I know of cases where the blocks were not even
embedded or cut by the applicant.

"Heath, Nancy L." <NHeath <@t> Lifespan.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
08/25/2011 07:11 AM

"D'Attilio, Shelley" <SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org>, "Podawiltz, Thomas"
<tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org>, "Histonet Listserv (E-mail)"
cc

Subject
RE: [Histonet] RE: Embedding process improvement and competencyassessment

This is exactly why the powers that be should have NEVER gotten rid of
the practical portion of the HT/HTL board certification!