[Histonet] Embedding process improvement and competency assessment

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:30:59 CDT 2011

I do concur that assessing any task is certainly much more straightforward if you are starting from your personal knowledge base and experience, but maybe with the input of others?, could still be accomplished ( thinking positive, through a team approach)-

From: Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:17:59
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; <SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Embedding process improvement and competency assessment

Shelley:
 Please do not miss-understand what I am going to write you but I still find extremely difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that somebody without practical knowledge of histology can become a manager of a histology laboratory.
 You will have a very hard time going about your tasks and you will probably make some judgment mistakes.
 I have proposed many times that medical technologists are the answer to the shortage of histotechs, but because I think MT can be trained and add to their theoretical knowledge of the lab the skills to become good histotecha.
 Your question is an example of the difficulties you are encountering because one of the responsibilities of the histology manager is to develop and write the competencies for each task based on his/her experience.
 Since you do not have such experience your only solution will be to rely on others and if your select the wrong one, you will end with "soft" competencies that will adversely affect the overall work flow of the lab.
 Excuse for this rant. Now, if you want, I can send you the embedding competencies I developed for my lab.
 René J.