[Histonet] IHC control material

Kuhnla, Melissa Melissa.Kuhnla <@t> chsli.org
Fri Aug 19 06:51:58 CDT 2011

Hi,
First let me say that a proper control system is not possible without
the help of a pathologist.  I am lucky enough to have a pathologist that
continuously is dedicated to helping me with this project. He very much
understands how important it is!!
The pathologist is constantly looking for cases that have additional
tissue that can be processed, H&Ed, stained with various antibodies, and
then cataloged and documented as far as what it can be used for in the
future as a control.  After about 4 years of this, I have a library of a
couple hundred cases. Some are rare tumors; some are normal tonsil and
colon...etc.  I have excel spreadsheets that log case number, tissue
type, hours fixation, stain results, date, pathologist...etc.

I then have a naming and numbering system for 'working control' blocks.
In other words, our mesothelioma control block contains three or four
different tissue types. I have a log that shows all the case numbers and
that they were combined into working control blocks. Say I make five
blocks at once, they are named meso1, meso2, meso3, meso4, meso5. I then
H&E these 'working control' blocks and the pathologist signs off on
them. Now they are ready to put into use and cut.  We do pre-cut
controls. The slide is labeled with the blocks name (meso1), the date
cut, and the cutters initials.  This is so we are always using the
oldest first.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything further.
Melissa