[Histonet] polarizers for microscopes

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 05:25:35 CDT 2011

A microscope repairman and used microscope dealer, one I've worked
with for many years, trolls eBay for microscopes and related gear to
resell. He notes that polarizers with first-order plates ("gout
sliders") are out of manufacture and are very hard to get. It's
appalling how few pathologists I work with use polarization ("jiss
break a pair of sun glasses"). I remember my father (also a
pathologist) retrofitting his 1923 brass-tube Leitz monocular with a
polarizer in 1950. - If you've got one of these things, take care of
it - and they are fragile.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN