[Histonet] mouse heart trimming and sectioning_papillary muscle

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Mon Aug 15 12:43:41 CDT 2011

You are probably going to have to check unstained sections as you trim into the block.  The heart needs to be grossed in from apex to base in a standard manner, you will need to figure out the best way to do this.  You need to section on the same orientation each time. I'm thinking you need to section in the frontal plane, trim off a small portion of the anterior side of the heart, you can tell the anterior from the posterior by the atria.  The atria are attached to the heart on the posterior side, so you want to trim off the other side, we have done this for rat hearts before to look specifically at the papillary muscle.  I would then section into the block and then pick up unstained slides and look under a microscope to see if the papillary muscle is present.  Good Luck

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592