[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 93, Issue 14

mesruh turkekul turkekul <@t> gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:27:29 CDT 2011

We usually fix 16-20hrs in NBF, then do 5M EDTA pH=8.0 for 5-10 days at RT
until the bone has soften. Place enough EDTA and change EDTA once in a while
(like every other day) to avoid saturation of EDTA with Ca. After
decalcificaiton is completed I re-fix the bone is NBF for another 6-8 hours.
Then I transfer to 70% Ethanol for several hours and process for paraffin
embedding. We use longer program that yours:

Note: Make sure you use enough fixative and EDTA (15-20 times more than the
volume of the tissue itself) . Make sure the tissue  floats freely in the
solution. You may even gently rotate while fixing. Make sure you wash with
copious amount of tap water between and after each NBF or EDTA treatment.

You can use harsher decal solutions for shorter times. EDTA is better to
preserve the target macromolecules If you do IHC, IF or ISH.
But your paraffin processing protocol seems short for that big bone you
have.

      *Reagent *
 *Station*
 *Time (Hr:Min)*