[Histonet] potassium hydroxide/reprocessing of nail

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Thu Aug 11 11:18:45 CDT 2011

I would not reprocess it as that will make it even cripser. I would face the as gently as possible so as not to pop it out and soak the block in soap or Nair... My 2 cents.. j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John & Jen Campbell
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:09
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] potassium hydroxide/reprocessing of nail

Hi All,

  I was asked to place an already processed and embedded nail in KOH to soften it so the pathologist can section it further.  Right now the nail is going through the changes of xylene to remove paraffin, followed by changes of alcohol.  My questions are:
1) For how long do you typically leave the nail in KOH? Chec on it periodically I'm assuming?
2) Is it safe to leave the nail in KOH overnight (I will not be able to reprocess until tomorrow) or should it be moved to another solution, and if so, what would that be?
3) What schedule do you recommend for hand processing the tissue? I've done this in the past but do not recall the times and unfortunately do not have access to that info where I am at the moment.
Thank you so much in advance! Have a great day!

Jennifer
Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.