[Histonet] Re: Knife for trimming paraffin from blocks

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Mon Aug 8 14:52:06 CDT 2011

Hey ya'll,

You can also melt the paraffin on the embedding center... No extra cost and it comes with its own drip tray!! :>)

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of gayle callis
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 10:56
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Knife for trimming paraffin from blocks

You Wrote:

I am looking for a stainless steel knife that we use to scrape off the

paraffin from the embedded blocks.  I could not find the 6 inches size

knife in any catalog.

Thanks in advance

Mala

Nirmala Srishan

Histology Supervisor

Holy Name Medical Center.

Dear Mala,

In the past, we used an old style permanent edge scalpel blade but after a disaster with one person seirously cutting himself while trimming paraffin from a block, we purchased a Paratrimmer with a heated, slanted metal surface.  This trimmer has made everyone happy by eliminating the potential for serious injury and does an even better job of getting rid of excess
paraffin.

There are two models sold, one from Thermo Scientific and the other one was recently spotted on a vendor website. (Sorry, I didn't jot the name down).
The trimmers  are worth the investment to keep you and your employees safe from nasty cuts, no matter what the knife/blade, etc could be used.

The only drawback to the Para Trimmer is the messy paraffin drippings have to be collected in some separate container that the manufacturer doesn't supply.  This is more than a bit annoying.  It seems to me the manufacturer of these devices would design the trimmer with a paraffin catch tray.  A small aluminum baking pan (from grocery store) could be used and disposed of
(not a "Green" consideration).

Be safe rather than sorry.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.