[Histonet] knife used for cleaning paraffin off the blocks

Breeden, Sara sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu
Mon Aug 8 08:46:50 CDT 2011

AHA!  I have an Answer!  EMS (Electron Microscopy Sciences) sells a
"One-Piece Scalpel Blade with Handle" Cat. #72048-01 that is perfect for
cleaning blocks of excess paraffin!  I've had one for over 30 years and
it will retire with me!  It is initially sharp (but not as sharp as a
normal blade would be) but if you cut open a few cardboard boxes with it
(which it also does beautifully), it "dulls down" to the perfect edge
for cleaning blocks.  It fits the hand well and doesn't shave the
plastic off the cassette.  Someone left an old paring knife here but
it's too big and cumbersome.