[Histonet] Manual embedding

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Thu Aug 4 13:52:17 CDT 2011

Scott,

Pacific Southwest Lab Equipment in California has been good to me.  Very fair prices compared to new.  However, I also must state that two of the four items purchased "Used" from them no longer work (embedder, cryostat) BECAUSE of the new freon regulations.  Be aware that in older embedders, if the refrigerant gives out, it cannot be serviced legally, as the old freon was outlawed.  To replace the coolant, the whole refrigeration system will have to be rebuilt (evaporator, compressor, ect).

Sorry to state this to you, but the embedder that save my sanity, was purchased new.

I agree with Stella's email, as the nicest way to "Get" an embedder or paraffin pot is to find someone who does not need it anymore (like a local hospital or clinic that could donate to your university).  When I first started research, and we had no money for equipment, I purchased a paraffin foot-bath, like the HoMedics one at Target.  It worked okay, but it was cumbersome.  And where was that lavender-smell coming from?

Also, I got a great Leica electric paraffin pitcher from eBay for like $80 and a forceps warmer for $35.

Good luck with your search,
Hugh
Also in University research
Hawaii