[Histonet] Dyes used in Crayola wax crayons

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:28:44 CDT 2011

I started what turned into a remarkably lengthy and diverse Facebook
thread about Crayola® brand wax crayons. Some people use them to dye
fabrics, particularly cotton T-shirts.

Poking around the Web, I get the idea that Crayolas are colored by
Procion MX reactive cotton dyes, which come in a vast variety of
colors. The dyes are suspended in particulate form in the wax, rather
than dissolved. Some people fix the dye in the fabric after dyeing by
soaking the fabric in salt water, a practice that certainly sounds
like reactive cotton dyes.

Anyone know if this information is correct? Obviously reactive cotton
dyes don't have much use in histology.

If anybody wants to friend me on Facebook, I'm the Bob Richmond with
"Harvard" after his name.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN