[Histonet] cell blocks

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Tue Aug 2 14:51:09 CDT 2011

We have a 6 hours program that we process ours on - our assistant works wee hours of the morning and has them ready to start around 6 am. If they don't get on same day, they go on the regular overnight run. j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

From: Clare Thornton <CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com>
Subject: [Histonet] cell blocks
To: "'Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 2, 2011, 1:14 PM

How does everyone process their cell blocks?  Currently, we use our biopsy run for smaller cell blocks, but the larger ones we use our routine tissue process.  Our lab manager would like us to look at putting all cell blocks, regardless of size, on our biopsy run, to increase turn around time.  I have my doubts, since some cell blocks, especially bronch washes and pleural fluids, can be quite large and greasy or mucous-y.  What does everyone else do?  We use standard 10% NBF, xylene, and paraplast xtra on our processors.  We would process on a Leica Peloris.  Our standard bx protocol is about 1.5 hours total, and our standard routine protocol is about 7 hours.

Thank you!

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP),QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540
Bangor, ME 04401
cthornton <@t> dahlchase.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.