[Histonet] cell blocks

Clare Thornton CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com
Tue Aug 2 12:14:24 CDT 2011

How does everyone process their cell blocks?  Currently, we use our biopsy run for smaller cell blocks, but the larger ones we use our routine tissue process.  Our lab manager would like us to look at putting all cell blocks, regardless of size, on our biopsy run, to increase turn around time.  I have my doubts, since some cell blocks, especially bronch washes and pleural fluids, can be quite large and greasy or mucous-y.  What does everyone else do?  We use standard 10% NBF, xylene, and paraplast xtra on our processors.  We would process on a Leica Peloris.  Our standard bx protocol is about 1.5 hours total, and our standard routine protocol is about 7 hours.

Thank you!

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP),QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services