[Histonet] Re: processing times for skin specimens

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Apr 26 20:21:58 CDT 2011

This is important.
Ensure that your fixation time is as long as possible.
Short processing will give poor results if fixation is shortened

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Nathan Jentsch
Sent: Friday, 22 April 2011 11:46 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: processing times for skin specimens

We do a short run some mornings for shaves and small punches.  Keep in mind that we don't work 24/7, so these have been sitting in formalin overnight.

20 min formalin
1 min distilled water
10 min 80% alcohol
10 min 90% alcohol
10 min 95% alcohol
10 min absolute alcohol
20 min absolute alcohol
10 min pro-par (xylene substitute)
10 min pro-par
20 min pro-par
10 min paraffin
10 min paraffin
10 min paraffin
10 min paraffin

That comes out to be about 3 hours of time once you factor in the pump in/pump out time, and we have a VIP 5.
Nathan Jentsch
BS HT(ASCP)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.