[Histonet] silver stain on slide-mounted FFPE brain tissues

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Tue Apr 26 15:48:09 CDT 2011

Dr. Dean,

Histotechs are familiar with brain degeneration "Silver Stains" on FFPE cut sections(slides).  Common silver stains include Bielchowsky's method for neuritic plaques and neurofibrillary tangles (most requested by my pathologists for degenerative brain disorders), Bodian's method for nerve endings and fibers , Holmes method for axons and nerve fibers, or Palmgren's silver impregnation method for neural fibers.  There are other histochemical stains, but these are most common on silvers on brain sections.  We have been making our own solutions for years (and years and years...).

There are some kits for staining available through vendors such as Newcomer Supply http://www.newcomersupply.com/products-standard-special-stains.php, or American Master Tech http://www.americanmastertech.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetailStyles&item=KTBIE, and if you know the individual reagents you need, you can buy them from almost all vendors.

I have not used (nor have an affiliation with) Newcomer Supply and American Master Tech brain kits, but their other products have been great.

As for staining whole chunks, I have not seen or done this.  It sounds interesting.

Hope this helps,
Hugh, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology core manager
Hawaii