[Histonet] RE: whole retinal staining

Abbey Mortimer A.Mortimer <@t> latrobe.edu.au
Wed Apr 20 21:48:46 CDT 2011

Thank you all so very much!

Abbey Mortimer
PhD Candidate
School of Psychological Science
La Trobe University
Bundoora, Victoria, 3083
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (03) 9479 2470
Email: a.mortimer <@t> latrobe.edu.au
From: David A. Wright [dw18 <@t> uchicago.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 April 2011 7:41 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Abbey Mortimer
Subject: whole retinal staining

Dear Abbey & Histonet

I agree with René Buesa: I would try to stain whole retinae by a 'floating section' method i.e. hand processing in a dipping tray or mesh baskets (brush transfer can be done too but is laborious). Then mount them at the end.

Floating allows reagents to penetrate from both sides of the retina - extra valuable because your incubation times are going to be very long with material this thick. (I assume you are not just interested in superficial layers.) A microwave processor would help with penetration, but I have no direct experience.

-David
==
David A. Wright, Ph.D.
University of Chicago
Section of Neurosurgery

ORIGINAL POST:
Histonet Digest, Vol 89, Issue 21 Message: 7