[Histonet] Von kossa stain

Breeden, Sara sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:52:49 CDT 2011

Funny you should ask... just last week I had two requests for a Von
Kossa.  That's when I found out that, despite the fact that we just
moved into a brand new building with all the bells and whistles, there
was not one single UV light in any of the many hoods that had been
installed.  Heaven forbid  I could even find an incandescent bulb (we
are a "green building").  So, I prepped my slides, put them in a clear
glass Coplin jar and parked the jar on the hood of my car for an hour.

Works like a charm.  This all depends, naturally, on (1) if you even
HAVE sunshine where you live; (2) how far a walk it is to the sunshine,
and (3) whether you have a car hood on which to park the Coplin jar.
Needless to say, out of the line of sight of curious onlookers with
sticky fingers and no business wondering what that glass jar is...
Nonetheless, it works just fine!  May the Force be with you.