[Histonet] Tissue-Tek cover slipper question

Bales, Candy A Candy.A.Bales <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Tue Apr 12 08:19:08 CDT 2011

Good morning. I work part-time at a small lab and they have a Sakura Feintek  Tissue-Tek SCA tape coverslipper, model 4764.
I have not worked with any tape coverslippers before  and am having problems with areas of the tissue drying out. The solvent bottle is full of Xylene. However, there is a crack in the lid of the bottle.
After removing the stained slides from the autostainer and loading the basket(s) to place on the cover slipper, I re-dip the slides in Xylene.
The room where this equipment is housed, does get warm. I was wondering if the tape can become old & brittle, leading to it not sealing well, or if not enough Xylene is being deposited on each slide or a combination of both?
I could not find the manual on the unit for trouble shooting ideas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Candy

Candy Bales, HT
Chief Histologist
The University  of Texas Dental Branch at Houston
Diagnostic Sciences-Oral Pathology
6516 M.D. Anderson Blvd. # 3.093
Houston, TX 77030
713.500.4411 office