[Histonet] science for kids

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 5 19:12:22 CDT 2011

The NSH Histology coloring book can be found at:
https://www.nshonline.org/eweb/dynamicpage.aspx?expires=yes&webcode=COEMerchandiseSearch

If that doesn't work, go to
www.nsh.org
In the blue bar, towards the right, click on NSH Today
In the box that shows up, click on Marketplace
The coloring book is about the 5th one down.

Price is $5 for non-NSH members, $3 for NSH members.

Please realize that they are 4 and 6 years old. They will not understand
cells or nuclei. They will not be able to understand that their skin is made
up of small things, too small for them to see. And that each of these tiny
things have tiny nuclei/brains.

At that age, they can understand things they can "feel" or see, like bones
(dinosaurs), the stomach (as in aches, but don't try to explain 20 feet of
intestines that look like a big worm - they will take that image literally),
eyes (they can see them), the heart (they can feel it). They will understand
the brain as "their head" doing the thinking, not as a separate organ.

Lungs are somewhat iffy for the 6 year old - they will understand breathing
in and out, any maybe the concept of a balloon. Kidney, liver, spleen, etc.
are definitely out.

The Crayola website has some nice very simple drawings that can be printed
out.
http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/Human-Body-coloring-pages/

And for those wondering what to do for the "Bring Your Son/Kid to Work Day",
the Crayola website has drawing for several ages - skeletons and organs for
the younger kids; the cell, heart and eye for the older kids.

The other option for your nieces is an anatomy apron. Google it. It's vinyl,
with outlines of the organs, and colorful organs that velcro onto the apron,
in the correct location. Just a thought.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073