[Histonet] HM 500 M cryostat issue

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Thu Sep 23 18:46:33 CDT 2010

Hi Andrew

I have not used that model cryostat so this may not be the answer but I have experienced this on other cryostats when the microtome has been removed for cleaning and decontamination and reinstalled with the handle in the incorrect position resulting in the counterweight being totally out of whack.  When the microtome is removed the handle will naturally fall to 6 o'clock however when it is reinstalled the handle needs to be at 12 o'clock for the balance to be correct.  If this is not done correctly when the handle is released the chuck will always return to the up position.

I hope this helps.

regards
Tony

Tony Reilly  B.Sc. , M.Sc.
Chief Scientist, Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland-PA Laboratory
Clinical and Statewide Services Division| QueenslandHealth

Level 1, Building 15,Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Road,WOOLLOONGABBA  Qld4102
Ph: 07 3176 2412
Mob: 0402 139411
Fax: 07 3176 2930
Email: tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Web:  www.health.qld.gov.au/qhcss/

>>> "Andrew Burgeson" <napoli <@t> siscom.net> 24/09/2010 4:07 am >>>
Hello all,

I have recently been using an older model MICROM HM500 M
cryostat and have been experiencing an annoying problem.

When I cut a section I like to leave the top edge of the OCT
anchored by not cutting through it all the way. This way I
can pull tension on the bottom of the section with a paint
brush and flatten it out before picking it up on the slide.

The carriage that holds the chuck "drifts up" slightly when
I cut the section, pulling the tissue and OCT up and away
from the plate. I have never used a cryostat that had a
carriage that drifted up in that position. Over the years,
every cryostat I have used (including doing a lot of Mohs
and other interoperative work)has enabled me to "stop" the
handle at any position in which I need it to remain.

Anyway, this made cutting some rather challenging sections
of mouse kidney very difficult. I actually had someone stand
next to me and hold the crank in place while I took the
section (or else it would drift a bit).

My sense is that the crank mechanism has something wrong
that is causing it to not remain stationary once I take my
hand off the wheel. Recently an equipment repair service
came in and told me that the unit was designed that way and
even that "if I talked to the Germans that made it, they
would say it waas designed that way." (!!) wtf?

At any rate, he took out the lead conterweight and said that
he would have to modify the handle balance "to suit my
needs" by cutting off some of the weight and proceeded to
get out a hack saw and started trying to saw off some lead.
He got nowhere with this and stated he would have to take
the unit into the shop to do this. He was also kind of
insulting in that he told me that what i wanted the thing to
do wasnt what it was designed to do!

Any thoughts? I have asked around a bit and other histology
techs tell me that they see the "drifting" as an abnormal
occurrence and that it shouldnt do it if it's working right.

I think something is off with the coupling inside or with
the calibration or balance of the wheel. Any one have a
comment? First time in 16 years I have had a repair person
tell me I am using the machine the wrong way. This repair
service is not as experienced as the one I have used for
many years and I think he knows what he is doing.

Thanks

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.