[Histonet] Cassette Labeler

Harrison, Sandra C. Sandra.Harrison3 <@t> va.gov
Fri Sep 17 08:32:40 CDT 2010

We have the Leica Cassette Labeler.  It works just fine.  I have looked
at the Thermo Fisher Cassette Printer, which had a much smaller
footprint than the Leica.  I would be tempted to go with the Thermo if I
have to replace my current labeler.

These are expensive instruments but worth having.  It would be
appropriate for your workload. Plus, these cassette labelers can print a
bar code, in addition to the pt. id and name.  Laboratories can
eliminate numbering errors by utilizing bar code scanners throughout the
entire work flow;  at grossing, processing and microtomy.  Bar coding
can also assist you with implementing LEAN processes.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
DianaRip1 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:45 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cassette Labeler

I work in a small lab and process approx 150 cassettes a day.  We
currently use a chemical resistant pen
that works great.  We write the number on top and the patient initials
on
the side.  We are considering getting a cassette labeler.  Is it  really

worth the expense for 150 blocks a day?  Is it possible to enter
information
on the side of the cassette?  Can you share some of your  experience
with
different ones with me.