[Histonet] Formalin Incidental Spill vs a Release

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Thu Sep 16 16:28:01 CDT 2010

I trying to see if there is an industry standard for pathology labs
regarding formalin spills.  Can you tell me what volume of a formalin
spill is considered an incidental spill that can be cleaned up by staff
versus the volume of formalin that would constitute a "Release"
requiring a Haz Mat team or a responder (such as a fire department) from
outside of the hospital or lab to clean it up.

I will appreciate seeing how this is handled in your institution.

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen A. Feher, MS, SCT (ASCP)

Pathology Supervisor