[Histonet] Tissue shrinkage revisited, Glycol Methacrylate embedding

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Sun Sep 12 18:23:53 CDT 2010

During reorganizing files, I came across this elegant publication addressing
shrinkage of liver samples embedded in  different mixtures of GMA.  It was
an extensive, excellent study that discussed shrinkage or swelling during
NBF fixation (shrinkage), dehydration (shrinkage), dehydration followed by
infiltration (swelling), and the final polymerization (shrinkage).  There
were also recommendations for using correction factors when doing
morphometrical and stereological studies, including a reference on the
latter two studies.

Hanstede JG, Gerrits PO.  The effects of embedding in water soluble plastics
on the final dimensions of liver sections.  J Microscopy 131(1): 79-86,
1983.

If anyone would like to have the pdf, I will be happy to forward it to you.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

Bozeman MT