[Histonet] Trouble shooting decalcified bone sections (paraffin embedded)

CHEN, YIJING ychen9 <@t> kent.edu
Sun Sep 12 00:47:11 CDT 2010

Hi,
We are having difficulty sectioning paraffin-embedded decalcified adult
mouse autopods (paws).  The tissues shatter as soon as they hit the blade
when sectioned.

The autopods were soaked in CalEX for 4 days at room temp and felt extremely
soft before embedding, suggesting effective decalcification.  We use the
Sturkey EXTREMUS low profile disposable knives on our microtome.  These
knives are said to be coated with the hardest nitride coating available.
Sincerely,
Yijing