[Histonet] Rat tendon processing

Kristen Lauing klauing <@t> lumc.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:35:03 CDT 2010

Hi,
I am processing rat infraspinatus tendons for Masson Trichrome staining.  I've had trouble with routine processing protocols and read that adding 4% phenol to the 95% alcohol solutions may help soften the tissue to make it easier to cut.

Has anyone ever tried this, or have other suggestions for preventing the tendon from getting so brittle it falls out of the paraffin?  Also, should I be extending the time that the tendon spends in each alcohol station or shortening it?  I am processing manually since we do not have access to an automatic processor.
Thanks,
Kristen