[Histonet] Problem with liver fixation

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Tue Sep 7 08:26:55 CDT 2010

Formalin fixes slowly, even more slowly at 4 degrees C. Even though the
fix may penetrate, fixation will not be complete.
I suggest a formalin+alcohol+acetic acid fix at room temp for 24 hours.
There are many, many variations of this fix. Lillie recommends 85 ml of
95% EtOH, 10 ml conc. formalin (37-40% formaldehyde), 5 ml glacial
acetic acid.
I agree with Rene, Bouin will not make a difference. Alchoholic Bouin is
also worth a try.

Geoff

--
--