[Histonet] modified Mayers Hematoxylin

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 18:29:00 CDT 2010

Margaret,

This might be of help:

Garvey's Modified Mayer's Haematoxylin

This solution is a progressive haematoxylin that uses 10% less alum. Chloral hydrate, because of its toxicity, has been replaced with ethanol, a more effective penetrator and bacteriostat. Mercury oxide has been replaced with sodium iodate (Garvie, (1991) J. Histotechn 14(3):164-165).

Fixation:      10% buffered formalin.

Microtomy:     paraffin sections at 5µm.

Reagents:

1.	Dissolve 45g ammonium or potassium alum in 900ml distilled water with the aid of heat.
2.	Dissolve 2.5g Haematoxylin (CI 75290) in 100ml absolute ethanol.
3.	Combine above solutions and add 0.2g Sodium Iodate and 1g citric acid.
4.	Mix well. The solution is stable for several months.

Procedure:

1.	Dewax and hydrate sections.
2.	Stain in modified Mayer's Haematoxylin 40secs.
3.	Wash in warm water 5min.
4.	If required, counterstain in Eosin solution.
5.	Dehydrate, clear and mount.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA